What is Dry Eye?
Dry eye disease is a common condition that affects the eye’s ability to keep itself lubricated. The problem occurs within the eye’s tear film. If a patient’s tear film isn’t able to produce and keep high-quality tears, it’s possible the patient will begin to experience the irritation and symptoms of dry eye. Dry eye can be caused by a variety of factors. Some limit the eye from producing tears, while others increase the evaporation speed of the tears. Factors such as diet, dry air, allergies, or old age can all contribute to a patient’s risk of dry eye.
What is OptiLight by Lumenis?
OptiLight by Lumenis is a light-based, non-invasive treatment done in the area below the eyes to manage dry eye. The first and only IPL FDA-approved for dry eye management.The treatment is safe, gentle, and is backed by more than 20 clinical studies.
How Does It Work?
OptiLight uses precise pulses of light to reduce the inflammation that is typically associated with dry eye disease, improve tear break-up time, and increase meibomian gland functionality.
This application can significantly relieve dry eye indicators and has a multi-factorial effect, including:
- Increasing tear break-up time
- Reducing the amount of demodex mites and bacteria living around your eyes
- Eliminating blood vessels that contribute to inflammation
- Improving meibomian gland functionality
What to Expect
Before Your Treatment
To help you have the best experience possible, we ask that you properly prepare for your appointment by doing the following:
- Avoid all tanning activities 3-4 weeks prior
- Don’t wear make-up to your appointment
These steps help us to make your appointment as efficient as possible and support the treatment’s effects. You’ll be asked to cleanse your face before your treatment begins.
During Your Treatment
This treatment is fast and simple. During the treatment, your doctor will apply a coupling gel to the treatment area and cover your eyes with shields.
As light is applied to the skin, you may experience a warm sensation. The treatment is gentle with minimum discomfort. The treatment itself will only take 10 – 15 minutes.
OptiLight is often followed by meibomian gland expression if necessary.
After Your Treatment
After your treatment, you’ll be asked to apply sunscreen right away. We recommend avoiding sun exposure for at least 48 hours after your treatment. You can use make-up following each treatment, but it’s best to avoid hot water and picking at your skin for the rest of the day.
Depending on the patient, improvements are normally seen around the second or third treatment. These improvements include relieving a patient’s dry eye symptoms. You may experience some mild discomfort and redness, but these side effects should subside after a few hours. If you experience worsening symptoms, please contact our office right away.
Will the OptiLight Work for Me?
While OptiLight by Lumenis is an effective dry eye management solution, we want to make sure it’s right for you. We do not recommend this treatment if you:
- Suffer from aqueous deficiency dry eye (rather than evaporative dry eye or meibomian gland dysfunction)
- Have a history of keloid scarring
- Have severe scarring around your eyes
Ultimately, your doctor is the only person who can determine whether this option is right for you. During your next appointment, ask us if you are a good candidate for OptiLight by Lumenis.
You Don’t Have to Live With Dry Eyes Anymore
Dry, irritated eyes can be managed with a new treatment that brings comfort and can restore quality of life. Visit your eye doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and a treatment plan tailored to your needs.Request an Appointment
Easy Online Appointment Scheduling
or call 305-743-6939
- If you will be a new patient with our office, we ask that you arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment to complete new patient forms.
- Print out new patient forms.
- If you have health or vision insurance, please bring information to the appointment.
We look forward to SEEING you!
- 2357 Overseas Highway
- Marathon, Florida 33050
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed